Friday, May 7, 2010

Arizona SB1070 Law

While surfing the internet, I found an interesting article in The Chronicle of Higher Education that talks about the fear that the University Arizona has now that Arizona passed the SB1070 law. This law makes it a crime to be present in the state of Arizona without proper legal status. Under this law which will take into effect in approximately three months from now, police officers will be given the freedom to stop anyone who looks “illegal” and ask them for their documents. What makes the University of Arizona afraid is that campus police officers would have to do the same thing on campus, and it could turn into racial profiling. I think that Arizona has gone too far on with this law. I’m a legal immigrant, and I probably look illegal because of my ethnicity. Every morning when I wake up, I think that I’m in a free country, but the reality is that if I go to Arizona or attend the University of Arizona I would be stopped both outside and inside campus. Many people say that Arizona is doing this to protect its border and its people, but you should really start thinking and ask yourself who are the people that make Arizona. The majority of the population in Arizona consists of legal and illegal immigrants. I understand that they want to protect their border, but what I do not like is that the only people they're looking for are people who look Hispanic.

No comments:

Post a Comment