Friday, May 14, 2010

Racial profiling

While reading my classmate’s blogs, I found one that caught my attention. The blog is by Shannon, and she talks about the new Arizona law SB1070. The reason why I choose to comment on this blog is because I’m also against this anti -immigrant law. What first caught my attention is when she says, “ My mom and oldest brother came here 34 years ago and have lived here legally since then. My mom has a very strong accent and would most have her citizenship taken in question.” I like this line because, like Shannon, my family has been here for almost 15 years, and they came legally, but many of them have strong accents, and if they went to Arizona, they probably would be detained because of their accents and skin color. Shannon in her blog also talks about how many areas of the United States rely on the businesses of tourists and foreign business and now that Arizona has implemented the SB1070 law, it could lead to great economy loss on their as a state. I think that if Arizona continues implementing anti- immigrant laws, this state could end up losing not just money but many of its hard- working immigrants.

No comments:

Post a Comment